Taking care of teeth and gums begins with seeing the dentist on a regular basis. Unfortunately, seeing the dentist is not enough to ensure good oral health. Here are some oral health tips that will help individuals to ensure their smile stays healthy, strong, and beautiful. With the right care, cavities and gum disease can be avoided.
Helpful Oral Care Tips to Keep Cavities at Bay
Seeing the dentist twice a year is a good first start in ensuring cavities and gum disease are kept at bay. The first line of defense comes in at home, with the care the individual takes with their teeth and gums.
- Most people know they need to brush their teeth, but many do not do it enough. Brushing the teeth is crucial for removing food and plaque which can lead to decay. Ideally, individuals should brush their teeth after every meal. At the least, the teeth should be brushed twice a day.
- Avoiding sugary foods is also important for proper oral health. Sugar turns to acid on the teeth and can begin to break down the protective enamel. Limiting sugary drinks is crucial. Brushing after consuming sugar can help to prevent cavity development.
- Flossing is also an important step in protecting a person’s smile. Many people do not floss and it shows when they see the dentist for exams. Without flossing, cavities can begin to occur between the teeth.
- Replacing the toothbrush is also essential. Toothbrushes need to be replaced every three months. Not only does this cut down on bacteria growth, but the toothbrush can also become worn out and will no longer be effective at cleaning the teeth.
- Drinking copious amounts of water is also beneficial to the teeth and gums. Water helps the mouth to produce saliva which helps to neutralize the acid in the mouth. The water also helps to flush bacteria from the mouth.
Schedule Your Dental Exam
In addition to the above steps, it is imperative you see your dentist as often as recommended. Dental exams allow the dentist to find oral health issues before they become major problems.